Monday, 6 June 2011

PUSH-UPS: Caro Ramsay


So, what you pushing right now?
Quite honestly I am trying to push my brain into gear. I’m doing a final edit on book 4, writing book 5 and researching book 6 so I am confused about a lot of things. Not that that’s unusual.


What’s the hook?
Glasgow gangland, imagine Arthur ‘gangster’ Thompson meeting serial killer Peter Tobin in the Barrowlands Ballroom in the late sixties. Thompson went on to rule Glasgow for many years, Tobin went on to kill, maybe 30 -40 women. If Thompson had known what Tobin would become … In there somewhere is an alternative reality of morality and justice.


And why’s that floating your boat?
Having a few friends who are cops I hear a lot about how frustrating it can be and I am sure we all know a drug dealer who walks the streets thinking they are untouchable. How nice it would be if they were touchable…


When did you turn to crime?
While in hospital for a long stay, if I hadn’t started writing about murder I would have committed a few... starting with the woman in the bed opposite me…. In fact I might have been one of the biggest mass murderers in history!


Hardboiled or Noir, classic or contemporary?
I’ll read anything. But I do find myself after reading a few serial-killers-putting-transvestite prostitutes-in-council -skip novels going back to Agatha Christie and the maid being brutally done to death with a Niblick at four and twenty past the hour. At the crime fest recently there was a fair bit of Christie bashing going on especially by the spy/ thriller writers. They said it was outdated and ridiculous. But that doesn’t stop it being a very good read and no matter what time we choose to write about, human nature does not change. The basic theme of “Murder on the Orient Express” is the same basic theme as my next book… evil is justified when faced with greater evil.


And, what’s blown you away lately?
Getting into the Bryant and May mysteries. And strangely a book called “The Glasgow Fairytale”. The book does what it says on the cover... I’ve got as far as the pigs going to the planning meeting for their houses; I think Rapunzel might turn out to be an asylum seeker and there are all sorts of sectarian issues between Cinderella and the ugly sisters!


See any books as movies waiting to happen?
Mine! Don’t all authors answer that?

Mainstream or indie - paper or digital?
Defo mainstream! Defo paper. Nothing like a paperback that been abused and well read stained with Irn-Bru and Maltesers,


Shout us a website worth visiting …
It has to be the Daily Mash. Their article about the clampdown on fake vegetarians had me falling off my seat.


Finally, tell us any old shit about yourself …
I once performed a postmortem on a Labrador! Very interesting it was too!


:: Visit Caro's official website, here: http://www.caroramsay.co.uk/