Wednesday, 7 December 2011

PUSH-UPS: Thomas Pluck

So, what you pushing right now?
I'm pushing Lost Children: A Charity Anthology, an e-book I edited with Fiona "McDroll" Johnson and Ron Earl Phillips.

What’s the hook?
30 stories from around the world, with the likes of Paul D. Brazill, Chad Rohrbacher, Luca Veste, Benoit Lelievre, J.F. Juzwik, David Barber, James Lloyd Davis, Susan Tepper and the three of us editors. It's an e-book for now, and all royalties benefit two charities-PROTECT: The National Association to Protect Children, is/was Andrew Vachss's baby. I've always respected what he's done, and they need our support. In Scotland, we're supporting Children 1st, who help families
and children in need.

And why’s that floating your boat?
This is the first book I've edited, and it gave me great respect for both self-publishers and editors in general. The amount of work is staggering. David Cranmer told me it was a labor of love, and he's right, with the emphasis on labor. As in childbirth.

When did you turn to crime?
Oh, early. When I was ten, I tore the pages off nudie mags, pasted them in the garage, and charged a quarter a head to the neighborhood boys to go have a peek.

Hardboiled or Noir, classic or contemporary?
I like both, but I lean to hardboiled contemporary. I read the classics, I cut my teeth on Hammett and still think he's the king. Also Christie, I read Ten Little Indians when I was a kid.

And, what’s blown you away lately?
Lately I can't get over how great Josh Stallings' Mo McGuire books are. He's like Crumley with a dash of Vachss and the ironclad moral armor of Chandler. The new one, Out There Bad, is my favorite, but the first is a great read. I'd gotten bored with books set in L.A. and he cured me in a couple pages. He hits you like a sock full of batteries.

See any books as movies waiting to happen?
Megan Abbott's The End of Everything should be made by a daring director and kick Lovely Bones in its arse. It took stones to write that book.

Mainstream or indie - paper or digital?
Indie paper. I believe in the digital revolution- I just published an e-book- but I still love paper, and I hope to sign with an indie press or smaller imprint when my day comes. I grew up with the feel, the smell of paper and a love of bookstores. I'd rather see indies thrive and leave Snooki and the disposable airport thriller to the big boys. And not saying I don't love a good thriller. Emphasis on good.

Shout us a website worth visiting.
Well, the book's at: http://the-lost-children.blogspot.com/ that I hope you'll visit. The book is available on Amazon and Smashwords in the US and the UK. But another website I read daily is the excellent Criminal Complex at http://www.criminalcomplex.com/ that's run like a news site, and has some great interviews, such as with James Sallis.

Finally, tell us any old shit about yourself.
I was a bullied kid. So revenge is my religion. And I write about it with gusto. My stories have been around the web and in print, and you can find them at my own website: http://www.pluckyoutoo.com/