Thursday, 26 April 2012

QUICK-FIX: Doug Johnstone

Right now I’m reading …

Just finished How Soon Is Now? (Faber) by Richard King, a brilliant history of British indie music. Currently re-reading Stona Fitch’s fantastic Printer’s Devil (Two Ravens) and also just started William Gay’s Twilight (Faber) which my editor recommended to me.

Three things I can see from my writing chair are …

Piles of books. Piles of old Casio keyboards. My sunburst Fender Stratocaster.

The biggest time-suck that stops me writing is …

Kids. Bless 'em.

It might surprise you but I like reading …

Maps.

The fictional character I’d most like to meet is …

Begbie. I’m sure I’d be able to find his softer side. If not, at least we’d get served at the bar quickly, eh?

One writer who should be much better known is…

Matthew F Jones. His novel A Single Shot was the best book published last year. It’s apparently getting the Hollywood treatment, so he probably will be much better known soon.





:: Visit Doug at: http://dougjohnstone.wordpress.com/