Thursday, 12 July 2012

PUSH-UPS: Michael J. Malone

So, what you pushing right now?
My debut crime . It’s called BLOOD TEARS in case you were wondering.   

What’s the hook?
Glasgow detective, Ray McBain becomes the prime suspect in the case he started investigating. He escapes police custody and goes on the run, determined to prove his innocence. Its got “the banter”, nasty Nuns and lots of x-rated language.

And why’s that floating your boat?
'Cos its my debut, dude – and it’s taken me a feck of a long time to get here.

When did you turn to crime?
I started writing BLOOD TEARS in 2003 – so, 2003 then.  Until then I didn’t think I had the chops to write a crime novel as I didn’t think I could come up with a decent plot. Turns out focusing on the character was the way to go. Who knew?

Hardboiled or Noir, classic or contemporary?
Noir. Contemporary.

And, what’s blown you away lately?
There are sooooo many good books out there – including yours (no sycophancy, just truth) but the standout recently has been William Gay’s “Twilight”. Wonderful stuff. Beautiful writing, fascinating characters and a beguiling voice. Buy it.

See any books as movies waiting to happen?
Hey, wouldn’t it be cool to see The Storm Without on the telly? Get the home town on the screen. I’m also thinking BLOOD TEARS is a movie waiting to happen. That opening scene would look fantastic on the big screen.

Mainstream or indie - paper or digital?
Depends what you mean by “indie”. That term has been hi-jacked of late by the self-pubbing crowd and if that’s where you were going, I prefer to go mainstream for the moment. But that may change. I think self-publishing has lost its stigma lately, thanks in the main to Kindle. Well it has with writers. Not so sure about readers. I’ve come across a few derogatory comments on Amazon lately along the lines of “what do you expect, its self-published? So the “indies” still have some way to go to completely win over the masses.

As for paper or digital? Its paper for me, every time. I have bought the device and I have bought over 50 books for it. But I’ve only read 6 of them and I keep returning to paper. I just love having a house full of books, I love wandering round bookshops and man, I would so hate a world where I couldn’t do that any more.

Shout us a website worth visiting …
The only website I seem to visit these days is facebook. Sad, innit?

Finally, tell us any old shit about yourself …
I was the poet in residence for an adult gift shop. Yeah, you read that right. And it lasted for at least a week.

The owner was a fan of my poetry and she was going for a “we’re all adults here” kind of approach, rather than the nudge-nudge-wink-wink-blush-blush idea that we Brits tend to go for. Her thinking was that that biggest sex organ is the brain, so why don’t we go for some erotic poetry – frame it – and sell it right next to the dildos and whips?

Unfortunately, the city fathers of Glasgow wouldn’t give her a shop with a window, so nobody knew she was there.

It was fun while it lasted.



:: Michael J. Malone blogs at: http://mickmal1.blogspot.co.uk/