Monday, 22 October 2012

PUSH-UPS: Thomas Pluck

So, what are you pushing right now?
Protectors: Stories to Benefit PROTECT, the anthology I edited.

What’s the hook?

Myself and 40 other authors- including you, in full disclosure - gathered to write the best stories we could to support PROTECT, a U.S. lobby which promotes legislation for the protection of children. We've got everybody from Ken Bruen and Patti Abbott to Joe Lansdale, Wayne Dundee, James Reasoner, Andrew Vachss, Chet Williamson and George Pelecanos. And they're just the tip of the spear. The whole roster,
with links to where it is for sale- and that's everywhere- is available here:
http://the-lost-children.blogspot.com/p/protectors-stories-to-benefit-protect.html

And why’s that floating your boat?
Because PROTECT does great work, like the PROTECT Act of 2008 and Alicia's Law.  "Protecting the Children" has become a joke, because a politician will try to pass any law as "protecting the kids." But these are laws with teeth, that PROTECT fights to keep funded. Protecting kids is important in itself, but anyone who reads or writes crime knows the roots of violence begin in childhood. So from the most cynical standpoint, causes like PROTECT nip violent crime in the bud.

When did you turn to crime?
Ever since I was six, and a neighborhood kid stole our milk box and I had to beat him up to get it back, I've enjoyed reading about personal justice and the consequences of it. There's a reason we have courts. They're usually ugly, but meting out justice yourself is a whole lot uglier. However, it is more enjoyable to read about.

Hardboiled or Noir, classic or contemporary?
I write, and enjoy hardboiled contemporary. I like noir, but can only take so many weasels who I want to strangle, before I need a rest. Though I like reading about a slimy SOB as much as the next guy. I like the classics, but I don't worship them.

And, what’s blown you away lately?
James Lee Burke has still got it. Feast Day of Fools blew me away.

See any books as movies waiting to happen?

I have a very visual mind, so I see most books I read as movies. Dove Season by Johnny Shaw is begging to be a movie, though. Shaw is a funny guy and he writes with heart.

Mainstream or indie - paper or digital?

I want it all, baby. I think mainstream still has plenty to offer, but writers should publish across the spectrum. By themselves, with small presses, with trusted e-publishers. Protectors is indie, paper and digital. I would have approached a small press, but publishing it myself allows me to keep costs minimal, so I can donate 100% of proceeds to PROTECT. My time and any costs, I consider donated to the project. I also found some very talented friends who donated professional art, e-book and print design formatting, and cover design for the project.

Shout us a website worth visiting.
www.protect.org - there are people fighting real evil in the world. You can be one of them. Join us.

Finally, tell us any old shit about yourself.
I've sparred with UFC cagefighters and bareknuckle boxers. My holy trinity are beer, onion rings and a cheeseburger. And I once stopped a falling refrigerator with my chin.


:: Find out more about Tom at: http://www.thomaspluck.com/