Friday, 25 January 2013

PUSH-UPS: McDroll

So, what are you pushing right now?
As I’m far too lady-like to ever push, I can only suggest that if anyone is interested in some awfully good, sweet and heart-warming short stories, I have a new collection out called FEELING IT  ( UK  USA ).

What’s the hook?
Not so much a hook but more of a sharp needle, an epidural into the spine that will have readers bearing their teeth one minute when faced with the brutality of life and the next, chuckling with laughter having just had a big snort of gas and air. You’re kept on your toes throughout with endings that take you by surprise just like your waters breaking.

And why’s that floating your boat?
Life is dark and painful. Behind the smiling faces that we encounter everyday there are stories of pain, misery and disappointment. If you haven’t experienced those three emotions then you have never lived, loved or cared for another person. Scrape away gently at the surface of respectability and you will never be short of stories to write. Women don’t have a monopoly on these feelings but they certainly have a rich seem to dig into and examine.

When did you turn to crime?
I’ve always been a nasty piece of work, never taken in by self-righteous or hypocritical people, always wanting to pull down that veil of net curtain that hides the truth. Don’t try to fool me or I might have to resort to violence.

Hardboiled or Noir, classic or contemporary?
I like my noir to be very dark, to have my mind messed with, all dressed up in a gory blanket that I’ll snuggle up in hoping to be shocked and disgusted in equal parts.

And, what’s blown you away lately?
I like to be challenged in my reading and sometimes this pays off big time as it did when I read One Hundred Years of Vicissitude by Andrez Bergan. I could possibly describe it as a dystopian fantasy but that doesn’t really do it justice. Suffice to say, it was the most surprising and beautiful book I read last year and made me cry…and that’s not supposed to happen.

See any books as movies waiting to happen?
I’m a big Tarantino fan so when I read Allan Watson’s Carapace, I couldn’t help thinking that it would make a fantastic Scottish Pulp Fiction version of Brigadoon – so much blood, so much killing, so much sex. Just fabulous.

Mainstream or indie - paper or digital?
I love indie. It’s of the moment, fresh, uncompromising and there is just so much fabulous writing out there to discover.

Shout us a website worth visiting.
You can keep up with what I’m reading at http://imeanttoreadthat.blogspot.co.uk  or, if you are really into some fabulous horror / noir photographs, then check out my friend Danielle Tunstall’s amazing portfolio.

Finally, tell us any old shit about yourself.
I’ve just bought a pair of size 6 purple Doc Marten boots…so watch out.



:: Visit McDroll's blog: http://imeanttoreadthat.blogspot.co.uk/p/about-me.html