Friday, 26 April 2013

PUSH-UPS: Heath Lowrance

So, what are you pushing right now?
My second full-length novel, CITY OF HERETICS.

What's the hook?
Bad meets worse. An aging hardcase back in Memphis after seven years in stir crosses paths with a bizarre secret society of serial killers masquerading as a Christian splinter group. Massive violence ensues.

And why's that floating your boat?
I reckon it's because I get off on exploring the minds of men who have a tremendous capacity for violence. The protagonist, Crowe, is (like a LOT of my protagonists) pretty much a sociopath. His instinct is toward violence,and when he's confronted by other emotions inside himself, he doesn't understand them, doesn't know how to deal with them. That's fascinating to me.

When did you turn to crime?
Back in my early 20's, reading Jim Thompson's POP. 1280, and then Charles Willeford's BLACK MASS OF BROTHER SPRINGER and Dan J. Marlowe's THE NAME OF THE GAME IS DEATH. Those books opened my eyes to all the amazing story possibilities of a criminal protagonist, whether he's insane or just a right bastard. You can't predict anything with a main character like that, and that just puts you right on the edge of your seat while reading.

Hardboiled or noir, classic or contemporary?
I'm a little bored with the debates about what's hardboiled and what's noir, really. It doesn't matter to me. Yeah, I know there's a distinction, but who cares? I tend to read older stuff-- the paperback original writers from the '50's and early '60's-- but there are more great hardboiled and noir writers around right now than there's been in decades, so I try to stay on top of that as well.

And what's blown you away lately?
I discovered Tom Piccirilli about a year and a half ago, and have become a huge fan. Also, James Reasoner, who is a real role model for professionalism and solid story-telling. And a fella named Jordan Harper wrote a collection of stories called AMERICAN DEATH SONGS which really slayed me.

See any books as movies waiting to happen?

Just my own.

Mainstream or indie? Paper or digital?

Indie, all the way. I haven't read a book from one of the Big Six in a couple years now. As far as paper or digital, I don't have a preference. They both have their charms.

Shoot us a website worth visiting

I like Litreactor a lot. http://litreactor.com/, especially Keith Rawson's articles. And  Manarchy http://manarchymag.com/

Finally, tell us any old shit about yourself.
I once did LSD and went camping in the middle of a snow storm with my equally stupid friend. We set up camp in the middle of a road and didn't realize it until a truck pulled up and the guy started yelling at us. Don't do drugs, kids!