Thursday, 16 May 2013

PUSH-UPS: Ruth Jacobs

So, what are you pushing right now?

Soul Destruction: Unforgivable, my debut novel.

What's the hook?

A London call girl, Shelley Hansard, who’s addicted to heroin and psychotic on crack, is presented with an opportunity to take revenge on a client who raped her.

And why's that floating your boat?
Being a call girl has been portrayed in other books, films, and television as being a glamorous way to make money. It’s served up as if it’s Sex and The City, all about designer clothes and handbags, perfect manicures, five star hotels and handsome clients. What’s missing, among other dangers, is the violence in that world. Yes, there are designer labels, beauty salons and luxurious locations, but the wealth of the clients doesn’t affect whether or not they will be violent and rape. The truth is that it’s a dangerous and traumatic way to earn money.

When did you turn to crime?

I’ve loved reading crime novels since my late teens or early twenties. Books I’ve started writing before but never finished, having been based on my own life, generally involved crime because as a former junky that’s a world I lived in.

Hardboiled or noir, classic or contemporary?

My writing is contemporary, but as for what I choose to read, I’m driven by the story - drugs and gangsters are a favourite combination.

And what's blown you away lately?

Although I’m completely disinterested in football, I absolutely loved Ian Ayris’s novel, Abide with Me. The world and the characters he created were so real. I’m pretty sure I cried a couple of times reading it.   

See any books as movies waiting to happen?
My novel, Soul Destruction: Unforgivable, ideally directed by Guy Ritchie.

Mainstream or indie? Paper or digital?
I read both mainstream and indie books. Originally, I was horrified when I heard about Kindles - I would certainly never have one. But now I have and enjoy reading from it. I still buy paperbacks of books I’m sure I’ll love because I like those sitting on my shelf.

Shoot us a website worth visiting

Paul D. Brazill over at http://pauldbrazill.wordpress.com

Finally, tell us any old shit about yourself.

When I was very young, I plucked some grass from the garden, rolled it up in a torn off piece of paper and tried to smoke it. I later learnt that that was not the right kind of grass or the right kind of paper.   

:: Visit Ruth's site at: http://ruthjacobs.co.uk/