Thursday, 12 May 2016

PUSH-UPS: Douglas Skelton

So, what you pushing right now?
The latest is 'Open Wounds', the final entry in the Davie McCall quartet which began with 'Blood City'
What’s the hook?

This time around Davie is drawn into investigating a possible miscarriage of justice, but it may have an impact on people around him, particularly his old pal, crime boss Rab McClymont and corrupt cop Jimmy Knight.
And why’s that floating your boat?

It's the final part of the story. Each of the books has a self-contained plotline but there are story arcs across the series. This is where a lot of them end. Also, as I was part of an investigation into a real miscarriage of justice a few years ago it has echoes for me. When did you turn to crime?

I'd been reading crime, or thrillers, since I was a teenager, when I discovered Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels. But it really kicked off when I fell into the role of crime reporter with a weekly newspaper in Glasgow. Features with the Evening Times followed and they led to my first true crime book, 'Blood on the Thistle.' I always had a desire to write fiction - some lawyers and police officers say I was writing it all along - and after 11 titles I decided to concentrate solely on making shit up. 'Blood City' was the first.
Hardboiled or Noir, classic or contemporary? 
Douglas Skelton.

I can appreciate them all. I look for prose that flows, dialogue that speaks to me and stories that have me turning the page. And good characters, of course. My own stuff is contemporary hardboiled noir. I've never had a real yen to write about obscure poisons in the muffins. And, what’s blown you away lately?

I'm currently reading Robert Crais's latest 'The Promise'. Another fabulous read. I've also read terrific upcoming books from pals Michael J. Malone, Neil Broadfoot and Matt Bendoris. One or all deserve the big-time. I've got a TBR pile that would have a librarian demanding extra pay, including the latest from Caro Ramsay and TF Muir. See any books as movies waiting to happen?

Apart from mine? Sorry, couldn't resist. I think it's high time someone gave the Robert Crais books a go, perhaps on TV. Mainstream or indie - paper or digital?

I have to say I'm a mainstream man when reading, although the indie publishers are the ones taking the risks and coming up with some great stuff. I'm very old-fashioned, though - I don't own a Kindle. Shout us a website worth visiting …

Apart from mine- douglasskelton.com? Sorry again. Everyone hates a pushy author (but that was douglasskelton.com). Seriously, there are a host of bloggers and crime sites and to choose one would be unfair. They do a terrific job for authors now that the mainstream press has cut back on reviews. Finally, tell us any old shit about yourself …

I'm incredibly handsome. I'm like catnip to the ladies. I can run the mile in under two minutes. I write crime. Three of those statements are false.


:: Visit Douglas's site at: www.douglasskelton.com  Buy Open Wounds on Amazon UK